Perseverance is hard, grating and gruelling. It is a test sent to plague us. You might be all pumped up and ready and rearing to start something. Your enthusiasm levels are at maximum capacity and then some! But then gradually, over time, it starts to peter out. It just feels too hard, too tedious, too stressful, too traumatic. You start to make excuses and miss slots scheduled in your diary to complete your project. You start to miss more and more until…
enthusiasm is reduced to a mere fizzle…
it grinds to a halt.
Isn’t that tragic? I said before that perseverance is a test sent to plague us, but it is also a test sent to push us to aspire and ultimately achieve. Where you are now and where you could be is just spanned by the discipline and willpower to push through and get on with things.
This will always trump grand and sporadic.
SO PUSH YOURSELF!
Do battle with that other side of yourself – the huge lazy sloth monster and shrink it and zap it until you have thoroughly defeated and destroyed it.
It is definitely worthwhile.
And with that in mind, here are 15 quotes on perseverance to help you do exactly that!
- “Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.” – John Quincy Adams
- “Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.” – Julie Andrews
- “Never stop fighting until you arrive at your destined place – that is, the unique you. Have an aim in life, continuously acquire knowledge, work hard, and have perseverance to realise the great life.” – A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
- “Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.” – Newt Gingrich
- “Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance.” – Samuel Johnson
- “Perseverance, secret of all triumphs.” – Victor Hugo
- “If you wish to succeed in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counsellor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius.” – Joseph Addison
- “Through perseverance many people win success out of what seemed destined to be certain failure.” – Benjamin Disraeli
- “Perseverance is an active principle, and cannot continue to operate but under the influence of desire.” – William Godwin
- “Men fail much oftener from want of perseverance than from want of talent.” – William Cobbett
- “God bless perseverance. Because it’s not easy.” – Junot Diaz
- “It’s perseverance that’s the key. It’s persevering for long enough to achieve your potential.” – Lynn Davies
- “Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.” – Thomas Carlyle
- “Success is the child of drudgery and perseverance. It cannot be coaxed or bribed; pay the price and it is yours.” – Orison Swett Marden
So remember: keep going! There is no gain without a little pain. Go and get the life you deserve – the power of perseverance lies within you!