Forgiveness is one of the hardest things to practise, especially if you have been treated appallingly. Your mistreatment can make you feel angry and severely depressed, and understandably, the forgiveness notion can be the furthest thing from your mind.
There are some misconceptions about forgiveness. Here’s what it isn’t…
It isn’t about assuaging someone else’s guilt – you are not doing it to make your offender feel better about themselves.
It isn’t about simply erasing your own past actions to make yourself feel better either.
So what is it all about???
Forgiveness is a form of self-empowerment – it helps you to lighten the burden of carrying negative emotions so that you can move on and travel lightly on your life’s journey. After all, how can you progress if the weight of those emotions you feel threaten to bury you alive? They can be debilitating!
So unburden yourself.
Forgive others (and also yourself), but don’t forget. Learn from the experience and from your actions in order to prevent any repeat scenarios.
Here are 14 quotes to help you in times of much needed forgiveness:
- “When you forgive, you in no way change the past – but you sure do change the future.” – Bernard Meltzer
- “We think that forgiveness is weakness, but it’s absolutely not; it takes a very strong person to forgive.” – T. D. Jakes
- “Forgiveness is the final form of love.” – Reinhold Niebuhr
- “The ineffable joy of forgiving and being forgiven forms an ecstasy that might well arouse the envy of the gods.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it foregoes revenge and dares to forgive an injury.” – Edwin Hubbel Chapin
- “The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.” – Thomas Szasz
- “I learned a long time ago that some people would rather die than forgive. It’s a strange truth, but forgiveness is a painful and difficult process. It’s not something that happens overnight. It’s an evolution of the heart.” – Sue Monk Kidd
- “Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them.” – Bruce Lee
- “Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself.” – Suzanne Somers
- “Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.” – Mark Twain
- “Forgiveness is a virtue of the brave.” – Indira Gandhi
- “Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.” – John F. Kennedy
- “Forgiveness is not to give the other person peace. Forgiveness is for you. Take that opportunity.” – Mackenzie Phillips
- “Always forgive your enemies – nothing annoys them so much.” – Oscar Wilde
You deserve a second chance of happiness. Lighten your load and concentrate on two directions…ONWARDS and UPWARDS!!